Author Topic: 2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio  (Read 3711 times)

Offline AndrewT

• VP - Business Relations
Re: 2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio
« Reply #15: November 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
I'm just catching up after a very busy summer/fall and saw this post Andrew. I think this would be fun. I ran car rally's with a local car club years ago in that very area, as I lived in Pittsburgh for 14 years prior to moving to Baltimore.

There are a lot of great road-trip mountains and valleys in western PA. Once you pass into Ohio, it gets pretty flat. But if you are thinking about tying this prior to Carlisle, I would suggest you think about starting around Pgh, and maybe running south through the Laurel Highlands which is a beautiful drive - you would then be relative to places like the Laurel Caverns in Farmington, PA, Historic Summit Inn Resort, Ohiopyle State park (famous for rafting as well as being near the Kaufman House over Bear Creek, one of Frank Loyd Wright's most famous homes). This is also not far from Seven Springs ski resort which is a beautiful resort in the mountains with things to do during summer months as well. (and reasonable rates and great food) There is the the southern cut you can take off the Rte 40 way through the highlands and down to Deep Creek Maryland, and old rte 40 across the northern edge of Maryland (a Route that host several motorcycle runs each year because of it's beauty) and basically, back east towards Carlisle....I think this would be an awesome place to do a ralley. Can't wait to see how it pans out.
David

David, Thanks for the post!!!.  I think we just found "someone" the Club can add to the Events Committee in planning this too, lol.   (hint, hint)    :/\

Offline Scottw60

• Home Page
2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio
« Reply #16: November 15, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »
I am in!

Though I never read this forum did ya?
'06 Aero Blue Limited Roadster
5 speed Auto Stick
NAV
two-tone Leather interior
Heated Seats
Camera Mount
Fredericksburg, VA
----------
7/26/2008 - Blue Ridge Parkway Cruise
9/13/2008 - Pohanka 'Mopar Muscle' Car Show
9/13/2008 - 2008 Ride for Pride - 9/11 tribute cruise
10/4/2008 - Wings, Wheels & Ducks Car Show
4/3-5/2009 - 2009 Spring Tail of the Dragon

Offline AndrewT

Re: 2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio
« Reply #17: November 22, 2011, 11:14:57 AM »
lol...  Glad you posted, Thank You.   :thumbs up

Offline stelmos

• 2005 Coupe Limited - Black
  • Life is too short to drive humdrum wheels
Can we talk a little more on this subject at Carlisle? Looking forward to seeing everyone, and I still love the idea of this western PA/Ohio rally....I'd be willing to help with what I can for planning and ideas of where to go.

Would spring be the best time or how about Sept?

David
Carlisle Show 2011, 2012, 2013
Crossfires of Maryland member
COM 1st Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2012
COM 2nd Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2013

Offline VALKRYDERGUY

• Founding Director
  • Aurora,Ill
    • MY PHOTO GALLERY
Sadly this never really got off the ground and got any real planning  :(
2004 - 017746 ~~Tail of the Dragon~~

Sprint Booster, Needswings CAI, K&N Filter,  Tinted windows, Chrome Grill, Magnaflow Exhaust 
http://www.crossfireinternational.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=17

Offline AndrewT

I'm up for it!!!  It's not to late to pull something together. We can still make this event happen if we plan for it in early fall.  Anyone interested in helping organize it, send me a pm or let's talk at Carlisle's if your going to be there.

Offline stelmos

• 2005 Coupe Limited - Black
  • Life is too short to drive humdrum wheels
I'm still up for the idea and willing to help however I can. It is going to require that someone sets up a route, try to find some interesting check in points, then goes and runs and times the course in order to establish the ground work. Timed routes are usually graded based on the closest to real time using speed limits...right? You can lose the race by finishing too quick as much as too late.
All that said, it seems like a short window for people to get all the above done and market it, and allow people time to make plans themselves for this year. If this is a serious plan, maybe we should look at it for 2014 and create a committee of people to assign tasks and deadlines o make it happen. I for one forgot about this until I noticed Andrew's recent post
Carlisle Show 2011, 2012, 2013
Crossfires of Maryland member
COM 1st Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2012
COM 2nd Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2013