Author Topic: 2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio  (Read 3225 times)

Offline AndrewT

• VP - Business Relations
Looking ahead, the Bod is in the early planning stages of holding a Road Rally event that will cross several states in the summer of 2013. Driving from check point to check point in an set period of time. Those coming closest to the target time in all legs of the rally, well.... we'll see what you get, lol. It will be based in the Western PA/Ohio area, or further, depending on member participation. We have several people in the club who have expressed an interest in having an event of this type. I know that it seems a long way off, to look at planning two years ahead, but for the scale of what we are thinking, it will take that long to get it worked out.

Please post your thoughts, ideas, locations, experiences, etc. so we can work to formulate a plan that suits as many members as possible. Thank You.

Offline patpur

• Founding Director
I'd plan it around Carlisle. You would have the most cars in the area at that time. I'm thinking before Carlisle. Maybe start it on the Wednesday before. Sounds like a really cool idea Andrew, wish I still had my car so I could join you.

Offline AndrewT

That's an interesting idea Pat, Thanks...
We could start it out by Gary & FP and have it end at Carlisle's

Hmmmmmmm.....   

This is why I wanted to open up a thread to start some discussion on the idea. Please feel free to present your ideas, comment, thoughts, etc.

Offline richard948

• Hiram, GA
Re: 2013 - Crossfire Road Rally - Western PA/Ohio
« Reply #3: September 02, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
Andrew, I don't think I'd be able to travel that far (13 hours to Carlisle is long enough!), but I could divert my route and head to my old home town area of Pittsburgh and go from there.  I do like your idea though, it would be fun.  I'll be checking this thread often to see how the planning goes.
Richard Clark
2008 Roadster Limited, Black

Offline IBLUBYU

• Inactive Member
« Reply #4: September 02, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Hmmmmm ..... sounds OK .........Lets see how it pans out ... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
(size 40pt) "THIS IS SO MUCH FUN, IT'S FREAKY"  Steve Buscemi, as Rockhound in Armagedon [move]

Offline Tom2112

• Advisory
  • Sharon, PA
« Reply #5: September 03, 2011, 11:55:12 PM »
I'm totally in, since I live right on the Penn/Ohio border.  :thumbs up

Of course, I will do what I can to help organize anything in my area. Just let me know what you're looking for/want.

What's my area? Pretty much from Pittsburgh, PA to Cleveland, OH (centered on Youngstown, OH).
2005 Black SRT-6 Coupe #32122 - 12.2438 @ 115.6 - Nuff Said!

Offline AndrewT

« Reply #6: September 07, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
Tom, I remember you mentioning a great area to drive around by you. Great scenery, nice roads, good turns, etc....  Would this be a possible area we could consider for a point to point timed drive, maybe 5 - 7 stops along the route ?

:popcorn:

Offline Tom2112

• Advisory
  • Sharon, PA
« Reply #7: September 08, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Sure. The area is around the Allegheny National Forrest. (That's the BIG green spot on Google maps in north western PA.) Warren, PA is at the top, and there are some other small towns to cruise through, as well as the Kinzu Dam and along the Allegheny river. It's no Dragon, but it would be very pretty in the fall when the leaves turn - maybe the end of October. Still that's pretty close to the Dragon...

Anyway, I'll give it some thought and scout some destinations. What are we looking for? I've never done one of these timed-rally-type events before.

Also, I'll contact my buds in the MINI club. They like rallyes (yeah, they spell it funny with the E. Must be a British thing.) so they probably have some pre-scouted routes already.

We could even start out in St. Marys in the morning, then to Warren and follow the river down to Pittsburgh... or loop back and stay out in the country...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:09:18 PM by Tom2112 »
2005 Black SRT-6 Coupe #32122 - 12.2438 @ 115.6 - Nuff Said!

Offline Laloggia

• Charter Member
  • Old Skool
« Reply #8: September 10, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
Hmmmm...cannonball run comes to mind. Might have to have that oil slick button installed next to the smoke screen button  :thumbs up
2005 X-Fire Coupe
2010 Honda Crosstour
2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander Edition
2007 Honda Civic
1958 Chevy Apache Pickup

Offline AndrewT

« Reply #9: September 12, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »
Hmmmm...cannonball run comes to mind. Might have to have that oil slick button installed next to the smoke screen button  :thumbs up

You don't stand a chance Mike if "Captain Chaos" rides along with me.....  8)

DAAAAN DAAN DAAA

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVl2CWK-6cA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVl2CWK-6cA</a>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:50:58 PM by AndrewT »

Offline rhacker382

• Dept Sec.
  • Administrator
  • Windsor, NY
    • -C-I-C-C-I Home Page
« Reply #10: September 12, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »
Hmmm who is that masked man?

Offline AndrewT

« Reply #11: September 13, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
Hmmm who is that masked man?

Don't talk about HIM that way Ray!!!

Offline Laloggia

• Charter Member
  • Old Skool
« Reply #12: September 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
Andrew...post the link...video won't work for me. Thx
2005 X-Fire Coupe
2010 Honda Crosstour
2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander Edition
2007 Honda Civic
1958 Chevy Apache Pickup

Offline rhacker382

• Dept Sec.
  • Administrator
  • Windsor, NY
    • -C-I-C-C-I Home Page

Offline stelmos

• 2005 Coupe Limited - Black
  • Life is too short to drive humdrum wheels
« Reply #14: November 15, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
I'm just catching up after a very busy summer/fall and saw this post Andrew. I think this would be fun. I ran car rally's with a local car club years ago in that very area, as I lived in Pittsburgh for 14 years prior to moving to Baltimore.

There are a lot of great road-trip mountains and valleys in western PA. Once you pass into Ohio, it gets pretty flat. But if you are thinking about tying this prior to Carlisle, I would suggest you think about starting around Pgh, and maybe running south through the Laurel Highlands which is a beautiful drive - you would then be relative to places like the Laurel Caverns in Farmington, PA, Historic Summit Inn Resort, Ohiopyle State park (famous for rafting as well as being near the Kaufman House over Bear Creek, one of Frank Loyd Wright's most famous homes). This is also not far from Seven Springs ski resort which is a beautiful resort in the mountains with things to do during summer months as well. (and reasonable rates and great food) There is the the southern cut you can take off the Rte 40 way through the highlands and down to Deep Creek Maryland, and old rte 40 across the northern edge of Maryland (a Route that host several motorcycle runs each year because of it's beauty) and basically, back east towards Carlisle....I think this would be an awesome place to do a ralley. Can't wait to see how it pans out.
David 
Carlisle Show 2011, 2012, 2013
Crossfires of Maryland member
COM 1st Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2012
COM 2nd Annual Show at Linganore Wines 2013